EUIf you ask a friend which Korean drama they would recommend, chances are it's from last year.squid gamewould be at the top of your list.
The show not only broke a record1.65 billion hours of playbackIt also won several prestigious awards in its first 28 days on Netflix, includingtwo emmy awards, one for Best Lead Actor and one for Best Guest Actress in a Drama Series. More importantly, it showcased the creativity and innovation of the South Korean entertainment industry on the small screen on a global scale.
This year has been another stellar year for K-Drama and general Korean content on Netflix, following a500multimillion investmentin South Korea's production and content stages over the past two years. The streaming platform reported that more than 60% of its users watched Korean content by 2022. Last year, Korean content reached the top 10 of Netflix's weekly charts in over 90 countries and three of the top 10 most popular talk shows . -English of all time comes from South Korea (Squid game, we're all dead,YAssociate Lawyer Woo).
Whether you're a complete newbie looking to dive into Netflix's Korean drama, or a seasoned fan looking to expand your list of shows to watch, here are the top 10 shows debuting this year. All titles are available to watch on Netflix US and are not listed in any particular order.
Associate Lawyer Woo
Legal dramas are nothing new, however.Associate Lawyer Woobrings a breath of fresh air to the genre, featuring a rookie autistic lawyer as the main character. Park Eun-bin sensitively plays Woo Young-woo, who uses his academic attributes (including a photographic memory) to represent his clients and help solve legal cases. Many viewers praised the show for its nuanced portrayal of issues related to accessibility in the workplace and the various prejudices people with disabilities face in society. The 16-episode drama series became the 6th most popular non-English language series of all time on Netflix and remained in the global top 10 non-English language list for 20 weeks, the only series since.squid game.
we are all dead
Fans of the zombie genre will enjoy this series about a group of Korean teenagers trapped in a high school amid a mysterious virus outbreak that turns victims into rabid carnivorous monsters. Based on a web cartoon,now in our schoolby Joo Dong Geunwe are all deadis a blood-soaked emotional rollercoaster with compelling performances from first-time actors. The story is mostly driven by the usual teen angst and apprehension about the future, but what separates this teen hormone series from other shows is the drama driven by the lengths to which a person, especially one who has been bullied, will go to get revenge. .
Keep reading: Squid Game and All of Us Are Dead made her a star. Now Lee You-mi goes his own way
Veteran actor Kim Hye-soo returns to the small screenyouth cut,a procedural legal drama. Kim plays Sim Eun-seok, a newly appointed juvenile judge who has made it clear that he doesn't like juvenile delinquents and believes the law should punish them severely. His temper is balanced by assistant judge Cha Tae-joo (played by Kim Moo-yeol), who believes in giving second chances. The series explores themes of murder and sexual abuse, and viewers are encouraged to question whether the punishment Eun-seok inflicts is compatible with the crime. The series is particularly compelling when it comes to fleshing out Eun-seok's arc, as it slowly reveals the reasons for his disdain for juvenile delinquents and his years of seeking justice.
twenty five twenty one
twenty five twenty oneis a coming-of-age story set in the late 1990s, when the IMF crisis is wrecking the South Korean economy. The plot revolves around Na Hee-do (played by Kim Tae-ri frommister sunfame), a high school student who dreams of one day being a fencer in the Olympics, and her blossoming romance with Baek Yi-jin (played by Nam Joo-hyuk), a student who is forced to drop out of college because his family loses. his fortune because of the financial crisis. Their relationship is told through the eyes of Hee-do's 15-year-old daughter, Kim Min-chae (played by Choi Myung-bin), who accidentally stumbles upon her mother's diary in present-day South Korea. The 16-part series is filled with melancholy moments that speak to the understandable experience of growing up in a society undergoing massive change.
Keep reading: 10 best tv shows of 2022
Webtoon turned drama seriesbusiness proposalis a lighthearted romantic comedy that ticks all the boxes for a casual weekend festival. Shin Ha-ri (played by K-pop singer Kim Se-jeong) is a young food researcher who, at the behest of her best friend, takes her place on a blind date for an arranged marriage with the intention of warding off the potential . suitor However, it turns out that the man who appears is none other than Kang Tae-moo (played by Ahn Hyo-seop), the CEO of the company Ha-ri works for. But instead of being freaked out, he finally proposes a deal: a fake commitment to rescue his grandfather from his back in exchange for cash payments to Ha-ri, who must support her parents. The resulting mishaps are often cute and hilarious, even if they border on the unusual.
To take care of your childrennoraebangThe (karaoke) owner, Kang In-gu (played by Ha Jung-woo), joins his friend's business and imports stripes from Suriname to South Korea. After opening a factory in Suriname, In-gu meets Pastor Jeon Yo-han (played by Hwang Jung-min), a Korean church leader who gained a reputation as a good Samaritan by helping to protect local businesses from raiders, gangs and corruption. protect the authorities. However, In-gu realizes it's all just a facade when he's falsely accused of a crime: the stripes he imports are found stuffed with cocaine, which is later linked to Pastor Jeon. In-gu is approached by Choi Chang-ho (played by Park Hae-soo), a Korean National Intelligence Service (CIA) agent who is looking for someone to infiltrate Pastor Jeon's inner circle. With no other options available, In-gu teams up with Chang-ho to bring down the pastor's drug empire. the show that isbased on real facts, did not escape controversy: the representation of Suriname as a drug state led its government to do soconsider legal actionagainst the show's producers.
Keep reading: Top 10 movies of 2022
Stick your lenses: Son Ye-jin (hard landing on you) returns to the small screen in a heartwarming tale of the enduring friendship between three women in their late 40s. The trio, consisting of Cha Mi-jo (played by Son), Jeon Chan-young (Jeon Mi-do) and Jang Joo-hee (Kim Ji-hyun), their friendship is put to the test when it comes to one. on their own, diagnosed with an incurable disease. The low times these women face are balanced by the highs that come with small moments of joy as they hold on to the pain of inevitable loss. The show is a balm for the soul and viewers can't get enough of it:Thirty-ninewas in Netflix's Global Weekly Top 10 for five weeks this spring.
the sound of magic
This six-episode musical drama is based onAnnarasumanara,a webtoon by Ha Il-kwon. Yoon Ah-yi (played by Choi Eung-sun) is a high school student going through desperate times and struggling to make ends meet for herself and her sister. One day, her paths cross with Ri-eul (Ji Chang-wook), a man who lives in an old abandoned amusement park and claims to be a magician. Ah-yi is initially suspicious of Ri-eul, but soon wonders if magic is real. As they spend more time together, Ah-yi discovers that there may be something darker behind Ri-eul's magic than she cares to admit. Could he even be capable of murder?the sound of magicIt's a bit hit and miss, tackling sensitive topics like abandonment and sexual abuse, but somehow successfully balancing the darkness with smooth acoustic duets and carefully choreographed numbers.
Keep reading:The 10 best movie presentations of 2022
There once was a small town
Han Ji-yul, a Seoul-based veterinarian (played by Chu Young-woo), is persuaded by his grandfather to temporarily move to the picturesque rural village of Huidong and run the old man's veterinary clinic while his grandparents enjoy a honeymoon. late honey. Firstly, Han, who is desperate to get back to Seoul, is a fish out of water and cold to the locals. But he eventually softens, especially towards An Ja-young, the nosy local policeman (played by Joy ofred velvet k-pop group). The underrated rom-com consists of 12 episodes, with each episode only lasting around 30 minutes, making for a lighthearted weekend that doesn't require serious commitments.
Featuring top-notch actors like Lee Byung-hun (Red 2, squid game), Shin Min-a (Heimatstadt Cha-cha-cha), Cha Seung-won (A normal day), Uhm Jung-hwa (dancing queen), Han Ji Min (one spring nightand Kim Woo Bin (the inheritors) this life scene drama unites several separate narratives of the residents living on the paradise island of Jeju, South Korea. Each episode focuses on a different dynamic relationship and features themes ranging from friendship, in the story of two old high school sweethearts who are reunited, to forgiveness, in the story of a mother and her estranged son. The show manages to give each character's story time to breathe and connects them in a way that brings the island community to life on screen.our bluespent nine weeks on the Global Non-English Top 10 Most Watched list, ranking second in the world.
Correction, December 19
The original version of this story got the name of the star wrong.business proposalIt's Ahn Hyo-seop, not Ahn Hyo-sop.
More must-reads from TIME
- Thousands of buildings collapsed in Turkey.Devastation Was Avoidable, Experts Say
- researchers may haveFound a way to slow down human aging
- Madonna's Face and the Myth of Aging Gracefully
- These two brothers will meet in the Super Bowl. We spoke with his mother.
- HeStreaming wars has entered its era of chaos
- It may be harder to find a job and get a raiseif the fed prevails
- effective altruismIt has a toxic culture of sexual harassment and abuse.women say
- AsChatGPT grew faster than TikTok or Instagram
- Why notMore sexy movies?
What kdrama should i watch on Netflix 2022? ›
- Squid Game – 1 season (2021 – present) ...
- My Name – 1 season (2021) ...
- Mr. Sunshine – 1 season (2018) ...
- Crash Landing On You – 1 season (2019 – 2020) ...
- Our Blues – 1 season (2022) ...
- Signal – 1 season (2016) ...
- Kingdom – 2 seasons (2020 – present)
Probably the most popular Korean drama on Netflix to date is a love story between a North Korean soldier and an heiress from South Korea called Crash Landing on You. Yoon Se-ri (Son Ye-jin) is a young, beautiful, and supremely wealthy woman who decides to go paragliding one weekend.What is the most popular Kdrama right now 2022? ›
Question: Which are the most popular Korean dramas in 2022? Answer: Korean dramas with the highest ratings in 2022 that must be on your watchlist include names like 'Extraordinary Attorney Woo,' 'Our Blues,' 'Twenty-Five Twenty-One' and 'Military Prosecutor Doberman.What is Korea's top 10 Netflix today? ›
- Crash Course in Romance: Season 1. #1 this week. Watch now. ...
- Physical: 100: Season 1. #2 this week. ...
- The Interest of Love: Season 1. #3 this week. ...
- Red Balloon: Season 1. #4 this week. ...
- True Beauty. #5 this week. ...
- The Glory: Season 1. #6 this week. ...
- I am Solo: Part 9 - #7 this week. ...
- Awaken: Season 1. #8 this week.
- 1. “ What's Wrong With Secretary Kim” (2018) 447,693 ratings / ...
- 2. “ True Beauty” (2020~2021) ...
- 3. “ While You Were Sleeping” (2017) ...
- 4. “ W” (2016) ...
- 5. “ Strong Woman Do Bong Soon” (2017) ...
- 6. “ Doom at Your Service” (2021) ...
- 7. “ Heirs” (2013) ...
- 8. “ My ID is Gangnam Beauty” (2018)
1. The World of the Married (2020)What Korean show is trending on Netflix? ›
- Love to Hate You.
- Extraordinary Attorney Woo.
- Crash Course in Romance.
- Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha.
- Business Proposal.
- Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce)
- The King's Affection.
- My First First Love.
|1||(1)||The Lincoln Lawyer|
|2||(4)||Wrong Side of the Tracks|
- Squid Game (season 1), a Korean survival thriller -- 1.65 billion hours.
- Stranger Things (season 4), a retro sci-fi series -- 1.35 billion hours.
- Wednesday, a coming-of-age supernatural dark comedy -- 1.24 billion hours.
1. Minions: The Rise of Gru (2022)
Which Kdrama should I watch first? ›
Based on popular Japanese manga and anime Hana Yori Dango, Boys Over Flowers is a great way to start any K-drama journey. With a hint of class difference, school drama and innocent romance. Boys Over Flowers is a light must-watch for anyone trying out K-dramas for the first time.What is the best romance Kdrama on Netflix? ›
- Love to Hate You.
- Crash Course in Romance.
- Alchemy of Souls.
- Business Proposal.
- Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha.
- Forecasting Love and Weather.
- It's Okay to Not Be Okay.
- Crash Landing on You.
Answer: 'Business Proposal,' 'Forecasting Love And Weather,' ' Ghost Doctor,' 'Twenty Five, Twenty One,' 'Juvenile Justice,' 'Grid,' and 'All Of Us Are Dead' are some of the best K-dramas that you must watch in 2022.What is BTS Favourite K-drama? ›
The K-drama Sky Castle is loved by the older members of the band. During an interaction with ARMY, Suga revealed that he had seen the dark comedy thriller Sky Castle. Besides Suga, RM and Jin also loved watching South Korea's second-highest-rated series on cable television.What is the most romantic K-drama? ›
- It's Okay to Not Be Okay (2020)
- Descendants of the Sun (2016)
- Start-Up (2020- )
- What's Wrong with Secretary Kim (2018)
- Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo (2016-2017)
- Romance Is a Bonus Book (2019)
- My Secret Romance (2017)
- Nevertheless, (2021)
- The Glory part 2 🖤 ♡ www.kdramaclicks.com. —
- Are you ready for idol Woo Yeon-woo? 🖤 ___ The.
- Taxi Driver 2 🖤 ♡ www.kdramaclicks.com. — #kd.
- Woo Do-hwan 🖤 ♡ www.kdramaclicks.com. — #kdr.
- Woo Do-hwan on set of upcoming drama The Joseon La.
- Our Blooming Youth, trailer🖤 ☆ www.kdramaclic.
- Stranger Things season 4 (1.87 billion hours)
- Wednesday season 1 (1.314 billion hours)
- Dahmer (962.4 million hours)
- Bridgerton season 2 (775.2 million hours)
- All of Us Are Dead season 1 (659.5 million hours)
- Extraordinary Attorney Woo (662 million hours)
- Inventing Anna (654.5 million hours)
|1.||All of Us Are Dead||1,110|
- Stranger Things (Netflix), 52 billion minutes viewed.
- NCIS (Netflix), 38.1 billion.
- Cocomelon (Netflix), 37.8 billion.
- Ozark (Netflix), 31.3 billion.
- Encanto (Disney+), 27.4 billion.
- Grey's Anatomy (Netflix), 26.8 billion.
- Criminal Minds (Netflix/Hulu/Paramount+), 24.9 billion.
- Bluey (Disney+), 21.1 billion.
- Stranger Things, 52 billion minutes.
- Ozark, 31.3 billion.
- Wednesday, 18.6 billion.
- Cobra Kai, 16.7 billion.
- Bridgerton (Netflix), 14 billion.
- Virgin River (Netflix), 13.6 billion.
- Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story (Netflix), 13.4 billion.
- Love Is Blind (Netflix), 13.1 billion.
What is the #1 Netflix series right now? ›
The Top 10 Shows on Netflix Right Now (Including the #1 Show 'New Amsterdam')What's the top 10 on Netflix right now? ›
- Your Place or Mine. #1 this week. Watch now. ...
- Minions: The Rise of Gru. #2 this week. Watch now. ...
- Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile. #3 this week. Watch now. ...
- You People. #4 this week. Watch now. ...
- Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All by Myself. #5 this week. ...
- Enough. #6 this week. ...
- True Spirit. #7 this week. ...
- Bad Boys II. #8 this week.
- New Amsterdam.
- Ginny & Georgia. ...
- Wednesday. ...
- On My Block: Freeridge. ...
- Lockwood & Co. ...
- Survivor. ...
- The Great British Baking Show: The Professionals. ...
- The Snow Girl. ...
- Stranger Things Season 4. Netflix. ...
- Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story. Netflix. ...
- Wednesday. VLAD CIOPLEANetflix. ...
- Bridgerton Season 2. LIAM DANIEL/NETFLIX. ...
- Bridgerton Season 1. LIAM DANIEL/NETFLIX. ...
- Stranger Things Season 3. Netflix. ...
- Lucifer Season 5. JOHN P. ...
- The Witcher Season 1.
Stranger Things (season 4), a retro sci-fi series -- 1.35 billion hours. Dahmer, a true-crime serial killer series -- 856.2 million hours. Money Heist (part 5), a Spanish-language thriller -- 792.2 million hours. Bridgerton (season 2), a period romance -- 656.3 million hours.What is the most trending series in 2022? ›
As detailed below, audiences viewed 52 billion minutes of Stranger Things in 2022, the highest yearly total since COVID lockdowns led audiences to binge 57.1.What is the top most viewed series 2022? ›
Netflix's smash hit Stranger Things was the most-streamed program of 2022, with viewers tuning in for 52 billion minutes last year as audiences increasingly opted for streaming platforms' original content, according to ratings firm Nielsen.